Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Girls Camp


Yes, I will be the first to admit it. I have been a huge SLACKER when it comes to my blog. A TON has been going on this summer, and I haven't even had time to blog about it. So here is a short recap. Event #1..I moved out of the apartment above the bakery. Yes it was sad, but it had to be done. Ryan's mom found me an apartment that was the same price, in a better neighborhood, with my own garage, and washer & dryer! I was sold. I have lived there since the end of May, and I am loving it! The only downfall, no free internet, thus my lack of blogging and facebook updates. Sorry friends.

Event #2. Girls Camp in Nauvoo! When I found out in February that our branch was going to Nauvoo for camp, I sort of hinted that if they needed any help that I would love to go. Needless to say I was called as a camp director about a month later. Sort of funny how those things work. Since our branch is so small, we only have three active girls, two of whom are sisters. But everyone got along so well! Unlike previous camps that I have been to before, there were no girls fighting, no tears were shed, it was very calm!

After a 6 hour drive on a thursday, we arrived in Nauvoo. After a quick drive through the town, we set up our tent to make sure that we would have a place to stay for the evening. It was a lot different only having to set up one tent, that would fit everyone, rather than four or five that would squeeze everyone in!

The next morning we toured the town, and visited all the sites. It was quite a humid day! But we made it through. All of the missionaries kept complimenting us, becuase we were the smallest brach there. Later that night, I fixed the girls supper, where we were all pretty much eaten alive by mosquitos. The mosquitos here are not like those that I am used too. They are 20 times larger! They bite you on your leg and immediatly your leg itches and swells!!!

Even though we had to sleep in the van for a night, due to a downpour of wind and rain, and the humidity made your clothes stick to you in places I didn't know they could stick, girls camp this year was definately one that I will never forget. It may have not have been all about passing off certifications, or learning how to live in the wilderness without modern technology. But all of us gained an appreciation of our pioneer ancestors and what they went through each day, and the religious persecution that they went through just the practice what they believed in.










4 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm so jealous! Girls camp in Nauvoo! Hope it all went well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not. I'm mega jealous of Nauvoo! V. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome three girl girls camp Meags!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you guys had a great time!!! What a neat experience :)

    ReplyDelete