Monday, October 26, 2009

Happy Birthday Old Man!!

This is my old man. Dan the Man, as he is referred to by many. Today is his 60th birthday. I know. He doesn't look a day over 19. Trust me, he doesn't act like it either. Thats one of the things I love most about my old man. He has the best sense of humor. If I could listen to my dad laugh everyday for the rest of my life, I would be totally content. He is able find humor in even the biggest of life's trials. The picture to the left is of him when we bought that hat together. He was super excited about it. He wanted me to take a picture of him in it and send it to my brother and sister. He also wanted me to make sure I got his black eye in the picture. The black eye he scored from skateboarding with the grandkids the weekend before.


Thats another thing I love about my dad, and a trait I am so glad I picked up from him is his sense of adventure. From skate boarding with the grandkids to taking a weekend adventure with my mum without any idea of where he is going!


My dad also has one of the biggest hearts of anyone I know. He would give you the shirt off his back, even if it was the last Hawaiian printed shirt he owned. He would just make himself a new shirt out of duct tape and stuff he had lying around! He is super creative.





Last but not least, "Dan the Man" is able to see the beauty in all things. If you would take a look at his garage, you would see what I mean. He is trying to pass this skill onto my nephews by teaching them how to dumpster dive for what he calls "treasures" and I would have to say they are catching on quite fast. I remember as a child him telling me that it didn't matter what I looked like on the outside, that it was on the inside that really mattered. That is something that I have remembered 20 years later, and continue to take with me.



Dad, I hope you have a great birthday. Keep making me laugh! I hope I can keep you around for another 60 years! Even if I do have to wipe your bum!


Love ya,

5 comments:

  1. You did an awesome job. Dad has not read it yet but Rachel and I did and we think it was so Dad---We wish you were here for the great ice cream cake and to sing Happy Birthday. He was so excited about his new wallet and money!!! He is outside showing Kory all of his hard work on the Dodge truck. Keep up the great blog (since Rachel and I are blogless) Love ya, Mum and Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww.. cute Meags.

    I love your dad's sense of humor. It took me a few years to get if he was serious, or joking, but I think I know now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to Dan!! What a great family you have! Hope all is going well. ARe you freezing to death yet??????

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megs! What a fun blog! love the trip stories and your dedication to your DAD! Tell him Happy Birthday from us too. and sorry he had to have surgery YECK not fun stuff! You have a great MOM I love her to pieces. Well Take care! Keep warm! and stay healthy! Cleola

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, I'm late but happy birthday to Dan and Megs, what a great tribute to a one of a kind old man!!! I've known him since we were like very young and he is still crazy after all these years!!

    Keep up the good blog, i love you kid, and will try to get up your way someday soon.

    ReplyDelete