Friday, December 18, 2009

Karaoke

karaoke (kar-ee-oh-kee)

-noun
An act of singing along to a music video, esp. one from which the original vocals have been electronically eliminated.
-origin
Japan kara=empty + oke=orchestra
This, my fellow bloggers, is my new favorite pastime. Karaoke. As many of you might have known, I loved it before, but rarely had the opportunity to take part, since the STG just wasn't the happening place for it. But in the state of many lakes it can be found EVERYWHERE! They do however prounounce it differently. Some say ka-ro-kee, as if there is no e sound in it at all. It must just be the accent. To them it all sounds the same.

Out of all the various activites in the land o' lakes, why would I choose karaoke, you ask? Well, for starters, it is a sport that all can participate in. Yes it is a sport. It requires stamina, adequate breathing, at least a fourth grade reading level, and for some (sorry mum) rather large balls. However, other than those requirements, one thing that it does not require is musical talent. Trust me, there are some people that I have heard that sound like they are calling in their pigs, not trying to sing Carrie Underwood. But that my friends, is why it is so fun. For about an average of three to four minutes, under the glow of a bud lite sign and disco ball, it allows some of us to feel like the stars American Idol told us we could never measure up to.
So I challenge you blog readers in the upcoming 2010, pick up the mic, crank up the Michael Jackson, Billy Idol, Pat Benetar, Salt N' Pepa, ACDC, or whatever tickles your fancy, and follow the words that light up on that screen. Karaoke your little hearts out. You just might find yourself a new hobby.


1 comment:

  1. Spencer (our son) just loves Karooke too. I didn't realize it was so prevalant her in MN (I don't think I'll mention that quite yet we want him home helping with the remodel--lol). What great pictures!

    ReplyDelete